Insurance News

Specialist drone insurance for commercial and recreational drone operators

Drone insurance is a type of insurance policy that provides coverage for individuals or businesses that operate drones (also known as unmanned aerial vehicles or UAVs). Drone insurance can help protect against financial losses caused by accidents, damage to the drone, third-party liability, and other risks.

There are several types of coverage that may be included in a drone insurance policy, such as:

  1. Physical damage coverage: This covers damage to the drone itself, including collisions, crashes, and other types of accidental damage.
  2. Liability coverage: This covers damages or injuries caused by the drone to third parties or their property.
  3. Personal injury coverage: This covers injuries sustained by the operator of the drone.
  4. Cargo coverage: This covers damage to or loss of cargo being carried by the drone.
  5. Weather coverage: This covers damage or loss caused by adverse weather conditions.
  6. War and terrorism coverage: This covers damage or loss caused by war or terrorism.

It’s important to carefully review the terms and conditions of a drone insurance policy to make sure it meets your specific needs and provides the coverage you require.

Coverdrone was the first in the industry, to offer specialist cover.

We offer bespoke protection for commercial and recreational operators, including full cover whilst in flight, aviation liability, data protection and invasion of privacy, plus many other additional features. Most importantly, we give you complete peace of mind. Coverdrone is fully compliant with EU regulation EC785/2004. Our policy is currently available to pilots in the UK, EU, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Whether you have an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS), Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA), Unmanned Aircraft (UA), Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS), we can advise what insurance cover is right for you and your business.

What do we offer?

A Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA) is any unmanned aircraft, other than a balloon or a kite, having a mass of not more than 20kg without its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight.

Cover for SUAs can be considered, subject to certain criteria being met, including but not limited to:

  • The SUA must be operated in accordance with Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) requirements including permission to operate a commercial flight.
  • You must have passed the Remote Pilot competence, as required for the commercial use of any unmanned aerial vehicle, issued by the CAA in accordance with current UK law & any other qualifications required for the type of use undertaken.
  • Cover will be limited to flights in connection with the business only, cover will exclude any recreational use.
  • The Public and Products Liability section will only cover flights which take place within the UK.
  • The SAR territorial limits cover will be as per the standard policy limits.
  • The maximum Public and Products Liability limit of indemnity in respect of drone use is £2,000,000.

We can also consider Public & Products Liability cover for CAA remote pilot assessments, this is subject to certain criteria, including but not limited to:

  • Cover for the SUA must already be in place under the SAR (Equipment) Section with Covea
  • An additional premium will be due for the Public and Products Liability extension of cover for CAA practical flight assessment use.
  • Cover will be in place for 3 assessment attempts each for up to 2 covered persons. Once these attempts have been exhausted unsuccessfully cover will cease immediately.

Cover will be subject to payment of the appropriate additional premium(s) and an increased policy excess will apply.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Some websites ask users to disable their ad blockers to access content. You can consider disabling your ad blocker for specific websites where you encounter the message. This can usually be done through your ad blocker's settings or by using browser extensions like uBlock Origin. Be cautious when doing this and only whitelist trusted sites.