Summer is coming to an end and with it the main season for German holidaymakers. Not only the children have to go back to the seriousness of life, also for the adults it says again: Let’s do it! After a holiday lasting several weeks, you feel particularly relaxed, but according to studies, the so-called holiday effect lasts for just three weeks – after which many employees feel ready to go on holiday again.
What can help? More frequent getaways! According to health experts, they provide just as much relaxation as a longer break.
It’s the ‘how’ that matters, not the ‘how long’
As Carmen Binnewies, Professor of Work Psychology, explained in an interview with ‘Handelzeitung.ch’, there is no scientific evidence that the duration of a vacation is important for its recovery effect.
“There are also studies that have examined recovery on weekends and short trips and have found similar effects to those of a real vacation,”
says the specialist from the Institute for Psychology at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster. “However, the data is not always comparable one-to-one. But what you can say is that in the end it is not the length that matters, but how I experience the time.”
When planning your holiday, you should therefore follow this formula:
- “For relaxation on vacation, it is crucial what contributes to my satisfaction.” That is different for everyone, because not everything is relaxing for everyone.
- With the current state of knowledge, it also makes more sense to treat yourself to shorter vacation phases several times a year. “But most people don’t want to hear that. And it’s not harmful if you go on vacation for a longer period of time. However, the effect does not last longer, ”emphasized the expert.
Vacation at home – how relaxing is that?
According to Binnewies, driving away is a good way to switch off, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t relax in your own four walls. “Presumably there are also associated costs, such as travel stress, so that the effect balances out in the end. That’s why you can relax just as well at home,” says the work psychologist with certainty. What is important instead? That you create a contrast program!
“Holidays are often the only opportunity to balance the one-sided stresses of everyday working life, which soul and body need,”
so Michael Stark, chief physician of the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy of the Asklepios Westklinikum Hamburg, compared to ‘FOCUS Online’. “Someone who sits all day should exercise to relax on vacation.”
- Anyone who only sees office walls, machines and/or computers in everyday life should therefore enjoy nature on vacation, while professionals who have a lot to do with other people at work should definitely allow themselves a lot of rest.
- And it is also better to keep your hands off communication media such as smartphones, which, according to studies, mess up the recovery effect.
- If you constantly write WhatsApp messages or emails – whether to friends or colleagues – you can never really switch off, and above all you are constantly reminded of your everyday life.
(Quelle: Cover Media)
#Proper #relaxation #short #vacation #relaxing #FIT #FUN